Musical Theatre Audition Workshop
Saturday, March 2 & 9
(Recommended for ages 8-16)
Do you know what an accompanist expects from you?
Do you know the shortcuts to learn a dance combination quickly?
Do you know how to connect quickly to new material?
Come learn the answers to these questions and more at GCT’s Musical Theatre Audition Workshop. Just in time for GCT’s All Children’s Theatre summer production auditions, this workshop will give students a head start on material from Disney’s Aladdin Jr., as well as an audition song of their choice. Teachers Jennifer Rushton (Musical Director) and Randall Stevens (Director/Choreographer) will instruct participants ages 8-16 on how to give a successful musical theatre audition. The workshop will culminate in a mock vocal and dance audition.
1. Many young artists use a CD for their audition. Although this is acceptable at auditions, the workshop will help your child feel comfortable singing multiple pieces with an accompanist.
2. Students will learn how to incorporate acting skills while singing, which is essential at any musical theatre audition.
3. Students will learn how to provide music for the accompanist that is clearly marked and will learn how to convey common musical knowledge to the accompanist.
4. Students will learn the names to common dance terms and will be able to execute them without a demonstration.
5. Students will learn how to execute common dance combinations without being drilled many times.
6. Students will participate in a mock-audition at the end of the second session. This is a great chance to demonstrate what skills they have polished, and places where they can continue to focus and improve upon.
7. The workshop will be spent working on material from Aladdin Jr, this summer’s All Children’s Theatre Musical production at GCT. This will be a great opportunity for kids to prepare for the summer musical!
Saturday, March 2, 2013, 9:30am-12:30pm
Saturday, March 9, 2013, 9:30am-12:30pm
8 to 16 years old
Germantown Community Theatre
3037 Forest Hill Irene Rd
Germantown, TN 38111
$100 per student (covers both sessions)
For more information or to make a reservation please contact Director of Education and Outreach, Leigh Eck, via phone at 901.937.3024 or via e-mail at email@example.com
About the Workshop Instructors
This year’s workshop will be taught by Jennifer Rushton and Randall Stevens. Both talented professionals who have worked extensively in Musical Theatre throughout the country, they are excited to lead what is sure to be a fun and enlightening audition workshop.
Jennifer Rushton (Music Instructor)
Jennifer is a private piano teacher and has served as a church accompanist for over 30 years, currently at DeSoto Hills Baptist Church in Southaven, MS. She also enjoys accompanying several high school choirs for festivals and concerts. Her most recent musical endeavor is as accompanist for the newly formed community children’s choir Coro Rio in DeSoto county. Jennifer’s theatre experience began 12 years ago at DeSoto Family Theatre as accompanist for Alice in Wonderland. Since then she has accompanied for over 25 musical productions and has received eight Allie awards for both orchestral and vocal direction. Jennifer resides in Southaven with her husband Lee, and sons Caleb and Jason.
Randall Stevens (Choreography Instructor)
Randall is currently a second-year graduate student at the University of Memphis earning his MFA in Directing. Randall comes to Memphis with 20+ years experience in theatre having worked professionally in New York, Arizona, and his hometown of Omaha, Nebraska. He has performed in such shows as Brigadoon, Fiddler on the Roof, Lend Me a Tenor, West Side Story, A Chorus Line, Jekyll and Hyde, The Music Man, Little Shop of Horrors, Crazy for You, and Little Shop of Horrors. Favorite directing credits include title of show, Nine, Side Show, I Love You Because, The Normal Heart, and The Wizard of Oz.